Thursday 10 March 2011

The Tuna Tin 2 Transmitter

 


by Doug Hendricks, KI6DS

I remember 1976 well. It was the 200th anniversary of our country, and there were celebrations everywhere. I also remember it as the year that I was first licensed as a Ham, with the call WB0YVK in Kansas. One of the other things that I remember about 1976 was a very famous article that appeared in QST. It was Doug DeMaw's "Tuna Tin 2" QRP Transmitter construction article in the May issue.

Tuna - Tin TX

The first thing that I decided to do was to update the circuit so that it could be reproduced with todays parts sources. Dave Meacham, W6EMD, is the technical advisor to the club (NorCal), and I contacted him for his help in translating the information. Dave very graciously provided me with the information on how to change the coils to components available today. Next, I decided to redo the board layout to fit the components. I built the circuit, it works great, and this article is the result. Here are the only component changes that need to be made to those in the original article.

No comments:

Post a Comment